18th Workshop on Alternative Economic Policy in EuropeFriday, 28.09.2012 to Sunday, 30.09.2012
Poznan, Annual Conference of the EuroMemo Group
The deepening crisis in the EU: The need for a fundamental change in policy
This year’s EuroMemo Group conference will be held in Poland at the University of Poznan from 28-30 September 2012.
The provisional programme is as follows:
Friday afternoon: The political and economic state of the Union (speakers to be announced) Saturday morning: Workshops Saturday afternoon: Plenary on policy proposals from workshops and Special plenary on Trade union strategies to confront the crisis Sunday morning: Planning meeting: EuroMemorandum 2013 and other activities
We would like to invite you to attend the conference and to submit proposals for papers for the workshops in one of the following areas:
- Economic and financial policy: a critical assessment of current policies in the EU and their impact; the limits of recent calls for a ‘growth pact’; the ongoing restructuring and concentration of capital; the failure to address the deepening ecological crisis.
- Governance in the EU: the shifting power relations in formal and informal structures, the increasing dominance of large states and declining public legitimacy; the need to develop appropriate forms of economic democracy.
- Restructuring the social agenda: contesting narratives of the crisis; how the crisis is being used to shift to more regressive policies; the impact on wages, labour rights and social programmes.
- A development strategy for the European periphery: the transformation of industrial and institutional structures and the need for a comprehensive long-term investment programmes based on promoting skills and good jobs.
- The crisis in global governance: the G20’s failure to develop a coordinated response to the crisis; the WTO’s failure to address global – and especially North-South – trade imbalances; the lack of prospects for advance in global environmental governance (‘Rio + 20’ conference; climate change).
If you would like to participate in the conference, please copy the registration form below into an email and reply by 30 June 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating:
- That you would like to participate, and
- whether you wish to offer a paper for a workshop.
Proposals for papers together with a short abstract (maximum 250 words) should be submitted by 30 June. If accepted, completed papers should be submitted by 1 September. We strongly encourage participants to submit short papers (10-12 pages) and to explicitly address policy implications.
Please note that there will be a conference fee collected at the venue to cover the cost of refreshments during the conference and lunch on Saturday (20 Euro / 10 Euro for students / 50 Euro for participants with institutional support). Information sheets with details about travel arrangements and hotel bookings see below. A contingent of rooms has been reserved at a Hotel IKAR in Poznan. Please use the attached form to make your own bookings at the hotel. Early booking is strongly recommended to secure a room. The deadline for booking rooms is 30 June.
We look forward to seeing you in Poznan!Top